Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Hello World!

Hi! I recently figured out that I have a dairy allergy. It took forever to realize that dairy was giving me problems. We should have known to try to eliminate dairy from my diet years ago, as I was hospitalized as an infant with a severe casein allergy. Of course, in much the same way that people once knew that the earth was flat, we all believed that I had "outgrown" it, because, don't you know, many people outgrow their allergies, right? Wrong. No one outgrows an allergy if it is an auto-immune response. You get bigger, the offending item may become less of your diet, but your body is still in low-level inflammation immune-response to the offending food. And who knows what kind of damage that does over the long term? Then one day, two plus two equaled four, and we realized I ought to stop eating dairy.

Dairy made me feel crummy and irritable all the time. I completely gave it up just under a month ago, and I feel AMAZING. It's crazy.

So, I never realized just how much dairy is in everything. Add to that an avoidance of wheat and soy, and you have yourself a hard time finding anything to eat. Or maybe it just seems that way.

I'm starting this blog to share recipes with you. For example, most cakes, even the gluten-free ones have dairy, and more than that tend to be laden with sugar or carbs. And it seems just wrong not to have cake for your birthday. If you're looking for gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, AND low-carb/low-sugar recipes, this is the blog for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment